Tuesday 20 July 2010

What? You want another?

Post, I mean. There were two yesterday, although I certainly didn't plan things that way. There were two, though, and that should mean that I can skip today.

But I've already started typing.

Oh.

Ok, then. But it may or may not be quick.

Today we're actually going to talk about the pointless photo. Hey, it has to happen occasionally. Today's photo is hot off the camera (well, from yesterday) and is of Sea Lavender leaves. Or maybe not. That's the problem with common names, you see. The plant came from my paternal grandmother's place; I've only got her name for it. And just to complicate matters more, an admittedly quick googling of sea lavender takes me straight to Statice, which has different flowers and definitely different leaves. See? This is why scientific classification is a good thing. Especially to the olfs and compulsive cataloguers among us.

Anyway. I kind of like this picture of "sea lavender". You'll notice that it's wet (everything is, around here. Did I mention?). I like the way the rain beaded on the leaves -- I think you'll have to click the photo to enlarge it to really get the effect. The whole thing's a pretty prime example of the way I take photographs, really, especially in this digital age. It's vaguely interesting, and it's fairly disposable.

That's right. Disposable. I don't mind if you think of my photographs as disposable. Hell, I delete almost everything from my nerdstick as soon as it's been posted on the blog. My photographs are all about hey, that's a neat shape or hey, that's a neat pattern or hey, that's a neat spider. They're things that attract my attention for the moment, but not even I think that the resulting pictures are remotely artistic.

Ok, except for maybe some of the spiders...



And shut up, world. Spiders are too cool.

Do they have any sort of point? The photos, I mean; not spiders. Spiders obviously have a point. As to the photos... well, I do call them pointless for a reason. Most of the time they are, indeed, pointless. Every once in a while, though, if I've accidentally stumbled onto a decent shot (and yes, I do keep those ones), I hope that it might cause someone somewhere in his or her stumblings around the internet to maybe see the world in a slightly different way.

Or at least take a moment to say that's a neat shape. Or pattern. Or spider.


Would it hurt anyone to think that's a neat spider, really?






Oh, just go back and look at the raindrops on the leaves. They're neat too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails