Thursday 9 August 2012

Randomness

Yeah, the blather's going to be random today. I have enough of a headache that I can't be bothered with coherency.

No idea why the headache, by the way. Maybe I slept crookedly. Wouldn't be the first time that my bad neck announced itself with a day's worth of headache.

So. I guess we'll start with the pointless photo. This is my absolute favourite daylily in the yard. Well, not this specific flower -- I mean the plant as a whole. I love the flowers that this particular type of daylily produces. I have no idea what kind it is, since I'm not a daylily expert by any means. I only know that we have several plants that produce this nice, textured orange flower, and that it's pretty. And since I posted not that long ago on my love for lilies (daylilies count, even if they're not in the Liliaceae), let's move on.

I'm housesitting at my father's place this week (see? I told you yesterday to remind me to talk about that today. You didn't, but I'm going to talk about it anyway) because he's gone off to Ontario to visit my brother and his family. Housesitting here is relatively painless since it's the house I grew up in (yes, my parents never moved after they had a family. Ever. The first time in my life that I moved it was to university. Can you spell traumatic, boys and girls?), but it will mean pleasing the cat, who's getting a bit grumpy. He's allowed, I suppose. He's fifteen, which equals geriatric in cat years. Oh, he's still healthy and active; just grumpy. I've made points today by actually feeding him and cleaning his litter box (he seems to think that I don't know how to do either of those things), and by rescuing him from the carpet not once but twice in a morning. The second time was interesting -- he jumped up a bit to find a scratchable part of his scratching post (the carpet's getting more than a bit worn out, but at least he uses the scratching post more than the furniture) and got a claw stuck. He would have been hanging for a while, I think, if I hadn't been down here. Guess I better do some claw clipping later when he's asleep.

Let's see... what else? Well, congrats to the women's soccer team on their bronze, which, judging by the comments from the (surprise!) commentator, they didn't really deserve to win. Ah well. They didn't deserve to lose to officiating in their last game either, so it all balances out. I don't have much to say about the game; I watched part of it, but to be honest I find soccer pretty boring. Yes, even though I played it as a kid.

I haven't been watching as much of the Olympic coverage as I was, since A) I've been sleeping better and B) the rowing and paddling are mostly over, but I do have a couple of comments in general. First, I have to say that I discovered a couple of days ago that one of the reasons I've enjoyed the Olympics way more than I thought I would is that I've been watching the early coverage. I watched prime time on the weekend to see a couple of events that I missed while at work, and forgot until then about the "glory" of Brian Williams. For those of my two fans who are American, not that Brian Williams. We have our own. He's a sports anchor. He's also very mannered and slightly annoying, and if I'd only ever been watching prime time I think I'd have given up on the Olympics long ago. You go, Catriona Le May Doan. You and the rest of your morning crew are making a non-sports-fan actually care about what's going on.

On a somewhat related note, I try not to be too much of a grammar granny, but every time I hear CTV's Olympic theme and I believe in the power of you and I I want to throw something at the screen. You and ME, you and ME, you and ME...

Ah well. This counts as a post, right? I'm doing well for August so far, but maybe expect me to be missing tomorrow. I have to go into the city for a staff meeting, and I might get a little bogged down at work (working at work? Is that allowed?) since I'm not there most of the week. We'll see how it goes. Otherwise, see you in a day or so.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails