Friday 3 August 2012

What's on your hand today, Dee?

Great shot, that. A truly pointless photo. Taken with the 3DS, since my two fans will remember that I feel a little weird about using the work camera to take pointless personal photos. And gotta love the angle -- I wasn't sure how to... um... "pose" to give you an idea of the wonder that is today's ring, so you ended up with an inadvertently strained pseudo-thumb's-up.

Ah well. The place is called pointless for a reason, after all.

What you're semi-seeing in the photo is a wonder of the early nineties, boys and girls. If you think you're seeing a silver cat-faced ring, then you have a pretty good imagination. It is, in fact, a silver cat-faced ring, but how you could tell that from a 3DS photo is beyond me. What you can't really see in the photo is that it's one of those rings that's adjustable and not joined up. It's kind of winding its way around my finger in a vaguely catish/snakish fashion. It has two sort-of limbs that make it look like it has its hands tucked in its pockets, and it's pretty much incredibly tacky. Real silver, though. Marked and everything.

I used to wear it a lot in university, which in itself is kind of odd when you consider that I was a zoology student and that my days were spent in dissection labs. Funny that it didn't poke through the gloves. Anyway, I haven't worn it for years, but on a whim this morning I polished it up and figured I'd see what it felt like.

Not too bad, all things considered, but I certainly wouldn't wear it for a pond study.

I'd mentioned a while ago a little bit of a resolution to try to vary what jewellery I wear, and it's been interesting. Oh, there's plenty of days when it'll still be the regular gold earrings and the silver pinkie ring you see in the picture, but I generally try to wear a chain or pendant instead of my flash drive around my neck, and I'll have at least a couple of days a week where I'll go fishing through the earring drawers to change things up a bit. Has anyone noticed? To be honest, I haven't asked and I don't really care. This is for me.

You see, I'm remembering now how I used to express myself through junky earrings and things like that. When I was (an awful lot) younger I used to match my earring themes to my programs. My family would give me interesting-looking earrings because they knew I'd always find a use for them, and I know one relative in particular who took a weird sort of delight in bringing back earrings from holidays that she knew I'd never find anything like around here.

Somewhere along the line I lost that.

I suppose it's a pretty simple combination of getting older and getting lazier, but I just stopped caring about adornment at some point. I still don't think it's especially important -- if I go out without a piece of jewellery on I definitely won't have a panic attack -- but I'd forgotten that it can be fun.

The last few months I've been having a little more fun again.

That's cool.

Anyway, back to work for me. And if anyone's wondering if the cat ring meant the sacrifice of other personal decoration (after all, I did have to take an extra thirty seconds this morning to polish it), the answer is nope. Rose quartz danglers, amethyst studs, silver ear cuff (I've been wearing that pretty regularly, actually), and a labradorite pendant. I'm the silver and stone queen today, boys and girls.

And it's sort of a nice change.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails