Wednesday 20 January 2010

Frankly, I really have no idea

About this post, I mean. There are things that I could post. There are things that I've been thinking about. Mostly, though, I'd just like to go back to bed.

I'm so congested right now it's not even funny.

And I've just posted a photo of deer scat on my blog.

This may not bode well, you know.

I did take the picture for a reason, believe it or not. I just figured you'd like to see what my father's back yard visitors leave behind on a regular basis. I don't know why I thought you might like to see it, but there you go anyway.

----------

I've been thinking that I should be talking more about my job on this blog, for some reason. Not sure why, really, except that maybe since my job is a bit out of the mainstream people might be interested in learn more about it.

Except...

My job is weird. I admit it. It can go from mundane to absolutely bizarre in the space of a phone call some days, but I've been doing it for so long that I hardly notice how weird my job can be until I actually try to tell someone about it. For example, and just off the top of my head, in the past way too many years here at the Centre I have:
  • Strolled around a campground in an 1880s dress. And a judicial robe. And a lab coat. Not all at the same time, of course.
  • Sung opera for donations at the same campground.
  • Fed dead mice to snakes. Often.
  • Spent a summer drawing spider pictures.
  • Eaten an assortment of wild plants. And the occasional ant. That part is usually accidental.
  • Tied a coworker to a fake spruce tree made out of coroplast.
  • Told a well-meaning woman that her "poisoned" chickadees that were hopping up the trees upside-down were actually nuthatches.
  • Done a helluva lot of desktop publishing (mundane, I suppose. But doesn't it seem weird compared to the other stuff?).
  • Helped set off baking soda rockets in a school gymnasium.
  • Made paper airplanes. Got paid for it.
  • Learned my way around the school curriculum even though I got a science degree SPECIFICALLY so that I wouldn't become a teacher.
  • Made ice cream. A lot.
  • Made rope. A lot.
  • Reconstructed ground squirrel skeletons from owl pellets. A lot...
And that's all on top of the usual nature walks, question-answering, and (as I've become seniorised) program creation and staff training that you might expect would be the job of someone who works at a nature centre.

Yeah, my job's a bit hard to peg. Have to say, though, that it's not generally boring.

Maybe I will try to write a little more about work in the future. Maybe. More likely, though, the blather will stay just as pointless as it's always been in the end.





You're... welcome?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails