Monday 18 January 2010

Head... too... full...

Hello, and welcome to my cold. I'm not going to complain about it too much today, however. Or at least I'll try not to. I would, however, like to say that if it wasn't for the fact that I'd arranged to do some staff training in the planetarium this morning there's a fairly good chance that I might still be wrapped up in my quilt and half-stoned on whatever convenient otc cold medication was on hand.

Ok. Now we've got that out of the way. And for any staffers who may accidentally read this blather, I apologise if I seemed like I was in a bad mood in star land today. I wasn't, really. Just tired and stuffy.

And, um, tired of one of the stays on my wrist brace hitting random keys as I type. I know I've gotten lazy with proper hand position over the years; I didn't really need the physical reminder.

Anyway. Normally this would be the spot where I go on at length about my favourite drunken awards show (the Golden Globes, for anyone who's not up on drunken awards shows). As it is, though, I don't have a whole whopping amount to say. Ricky Gervais? He was ok, I guess, but I still think that the Globes don't need a host. Just an open bar. The fashions? Safe and boring, on the whole. I did wonder why Drew Barrymore wore sea slugs on her waist and shoulder, I couldn't figure out why Tina Fey would choose to wear a circus tent for a skirt, and I always get a charge out of the way women who are wearing such expensive (and yet free to them) dresses can manage to look so bland, but there wasn't really an OMGWTFBBQ moment amongst the throng last night. On the whole, and as usual, I'm getting more entertainment out of going to the different gossip/fashion websites and seeing one person's BEST DRESSED!!! end up on the next person's HORRIBLE!!! list. I'd be disappointed if that didn't happen, really. It'd be like it wasn't actually an awards show at all.

As for the men... well, boys, thanks for the bow ties. There were quite a few of them, so maybe people are finally realising that a tux with a long tie is nothing but a weirdly shiny suit.

For those new to the program, I have... well, let's just say a thing for men in nicely tailored suits, and it always bugs me when they ruin the look with the wrong accessories. Yeah, I know.

The biggest disappointment for me was the red carpet, and that's not because the rain kept people from lingering and posing. It's because we no longer have access to an E! channel in these parts (ask me some day to tell you why Canwest Global is an evil, evil company), so I was stuck with the truly awful NBC red carpet hour instead. Awful, did I mention? Awful, awful, absolutely awful coverage, and incredibly disappointing for those of us who mostly tune in to laugh at the fashions.

As for the ceremony itself... honestly? It's not really why I tune in. Well, except for the possibility of a good tipsy faux pas or several. There was a only tiny bit of that last night, it seemed to me. Or maybe it was just that my stuffy head was making it hard for me to get into the spirit of things. I don't know. I can't help but think, somehow, that when one of the "highlights" was listening to Ahnold introduce Avidah it might be an indication that it wasn't a terribly exciting night.

I did have an interesting text conversation with the not-Toronto office, though. Do you find it weird that we watch these things together via text? Ok, maybe last night wasn't too bad since we were both watching it at the same time, but when they put us Westerners on time delay and she's telling me things a couple of hours in advance that can get a little confusing.

Um. So much for not having a whole whopping amount to say. I'm going now. And, hopefully, going back to my quilt soon.





And the other stuff I mentioned earlier. You've got to have some fun when you have a cold, right?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails