Tuesday 10 August 2010

Pointless random question of the day:

Am I the only one in the world who doesn't think that Emma Thompson is all that and a bag of chips? I mean, don't get me wrong -- it's not that I'm a loathing anti-fan and I'm sure that she's a very nice person, but she just doesn't do it for me and I don't, quite honestly, get the gushiness that many people on the internet seem to have for her.

Of course, it doesn't help in my books that she won an oscar for that fairly terrible adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, or that she was nearly twenty years too old to play the role she did in the film. Just goes to show that Academy voters and real Jane Austen fans aren't the same thing at all, I suppose.

And yes, I do realise that most normal people would say that nothing is the same thing as a real Jane Austen fan, and that it's probably a good thing.

----------

Ok, in lieu of an actual topic since I had a pretty awful night, let's play naturalist and talk about the pointless photo for a change. The featured creature is a Police Car Moth. No, seriously. That's what it's called. Proof? All right, here. If it's on the internet, it must be true.

Um, seriously? That's from the Royal Alberta Museum's website, and it's generally pretty reliable. I have my sources, you know.

Police Car Moths are slightly unusual in that they're diurnal (active during the day). They get their weird name from their resemblance to the markings on an old-fashioned police car, right down to the orange lights on top. The moth in my photo doesn't show the orange spots very well, but they're there all the same.

It's a reasonably easy moth to take pictures of because it isn't that strong a flyer and tends to stay put for quite a while once it's found a plant to nectar on. It can often be found on Goldenrod, although this particular moth was bucking the trend and feeding on Yarrow instead.

Too bad, that. The contrast of the yellow Goldenrod flowers probably would have made for a better shot. Ah well. You take what you get, especially when you're not willing to put a whole lot of effort into it.



[/biologist nerd who hasn't had enough sleep]

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails