Monday 9 August 2010

To art or not to art

I love these orange daylilies. Fantastic texture, great colour.

Um, consider that a warning that I have a few daylily photos hanging out on my nerdstick at the moment.

----------

Now, that's funny. I almost even made the photo have a point today, and without planning to. I was about to talk about the upcoming staff show, and daylilies actually tie into that.

You see, last year (ish. Was it last year or late the year before?) for the first time we had a staff art show in the Nature Centre's gallery. That meant that for almost the first time ever I ended up with some of my doodles on display. In a real gallery. It was a pretty bizarre thing for someone who doesn't even think of her doodles as any kind of art.

I submitted a bunch of stuff because there was an initial worry that there wouldn't be any submissions (in the end there were plenty, thank goodness), and you can find bad photos (and, um, one scan) of the three that ended up being chosen here, here, and here. Interestingly enough, of the three I probably would have only chosen the spider. I though a couple of the other things I submitted were a lot better. Oh, and you did of course notice that one of the three was an orange daylily, right?

Anyway, it's been decided that our experiment of having a staff art show was successful enough to be repeated this winter. And now I have to decide a) whether I have anything worth submitting, and b) if I don't, do I get off my backside and do something about it in the next month or so.

Here's the problem. Both of those options take effort, and I'm notoriously bad at the effort thing. If I have anything worthwhile already -- and that could include photos, if you've seen anything you like lately -- it would likely mean spending the time and money to get something properly framed, since I'm not sure we'll have the saved-my-ass option of borrowing museum frames we had the last time. If I don't have anything worth it, I'll have to come up with something. That means I need to have ideas, and I need to execute them.

The thing with that last bit is that playing in my mess of a mixed media journal has given me some non-illustration ideas to try out. Great, right? Added creativity rather than just doing my best to make a doodle look like the thing I'm doodling has to be a good thing. But. Suppose I decide to try a few things out? Suppose things get a little weird? Suppose I get all olf at the thought of having my general weirdness displayed somewhere other than a blog and then back out of submitting things all together?

ALL THIS PRESSURE...






Ok, all this non-existent pressure. If I don't submit anything, I don't submit anything. I'd kind of like to, though, since seeing my doodles up on display actually turned out to be a neat experience. Which, by the way, I never would have expected. I figured I'd be cringing every day at the thought that people were looking at my stupid little hobby, but that's not the way it happened. Weird.


All right, weird for me at least.



Ah well, if any of my two fans would like to help with the general indecisiveness have a look at the nonsense album from my other blog here. If there's anything that strikes you as displayable or any idea that you think could be developed if I do manage to get some ambition, just leave me a comment.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails