Sunday 22 July 2007

Getting around to it

There's an 11x14 sketch pad and assorted art sundries sitting on my desk right now in a bright red reusable grocery bag.

Erm... the colour of the bag has nothing to do with anything. Don't know why I even typed that, actually.

It's the same bag of sketching stuff that I brought to work last weekend when I was intending to restart work on a display project that got stalled at the end of the last summer season. The finished pieces have been sitting on the desk since then, reminding me that six pen-and-ink drawings of berry bushes do not a display make.

Absolutely no sketching happened last weekend.

I've a sneaking suspicion that I'll get just as much done this weekend.

It makes no sense, really. I like sketching. I'm not great at it, but the end results are usually at least recognisable. Why, then, does it seem like I need such a kick in the arse to get started with doodling when I haven't done it in a while?

Inertia's a powerful thing, I guess.

By the way, this isn't going to be one of those lengthy pseudophilosophical rants about the nature of life and how they paved paradise to put up a parking lot etc etc etc. I don't have any good reason for not sketching, and since I happen to know that I'm lazy I figure we can all assume that laziness has something to do with the lack of art coming off of my pencils lately.

I need to get me some of those self-directed pencils.

Hmm. Maybe the colour of the bag is relevant. If I can't be guilted into drawing by the sight of a bright red grocery bag full of art supplies sitting within easy eyeshot, then I really need a swift boot to the keister already.

Or whatever. Today's my Friday, remember. I'm just blathering on about nothing.

----------

Before I go, I feel the need to tell you that I loathe pick-up trucks. Sort of a sad thing considering that I live in Pick-up Central, but I absolutely detest the things. Yes, I know they're useful, but I think it's safe to say that three quarters of the people who drive them around here are doing it just because they like to be the biggest, nosiest thing on the road.

I work at a nature centre that is also the entrance for a nature sanctuary, you might recall. On the weekends especially I tend to be the first one in to work, but often there are already cars in the parking lot because we have a fair number of early morning sanctuary walkers. This morning there were three huge pick-ups, and as I walked to the door from my car another monstrous diesel unit pulled in.

Do these people honestly not notice that nature-loving gas-guzzler-driver isn't a terribly good fit?

Maybe later we'll talk about how stupid people should have to get special licence plates before they're allowed to buy trucks. Or any vehicles, for that matter. For now, though, I think I've got it out of my system. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails