Friday 13 July 2007

Paraskevidekatriaphobia

So, happy Friday the thirteenth. Is everyone completely panicked yet?

You might have gathered from the question that I don't exactly suffer from fear of the thirteenth (or thirteens in general, for that matter). I have more important things to be irrationally afraid of. Things like making telephone calls, for example. Or being burned by curling irons. Or touching fish.

Yes, touching fish.

And shut up, world. Phobias, by definition, are allowed to make no sense. If you were afraid of things that made sense to be afraid of, you wouldn't have irrational fears. Would you?

I might not be worried about Friday the thirteenth, but I will say I find it somewhat amusing that it's come so quickly on the heels of what some considered to be the LUCKIEST DAY IN THE UNIVERSE!!!!!

That'd be 07/07/07, for those who weren't paying attention.

I'm afraid (but not irrationally) that I don't really go in for believing in luckies and unluckies. I don't have lucky numbers (I have favourite numbers, but that's a little different). I don't carry around lucky keepsakes. Keepsakes, yes, but because they're keepsakes. I don't fool myself into thinking that they have any luck about them.

Ok, so I do have this gold-dipped scorpion (uh huh, I know) that I used to take along to my exams in university. I didn't do it for luck, though. I did it for company.

I don't mean to sound uppity to those of you who might actually buy into the whole concept of luck, but I would be curious to know why you believe in it. Is it something that you have concrete proof of? Is it wishful thinking? Or is it, maybe, a tiny bit of OCD manifesting itself?

Obviously I don't know. Then again, I'm the type of person who would plan to get married on a Friday the thirteenth just to annoy people/freak people out. Married under a ladder. With, naturally, a black cat as a ring-bearer...

Sounds like fun, actually. Anyone want to give it a go?

Well, you can think about it. I need to get back to work. Maybe if I'm lucky it'll involve stepping on cracks or breaking mirrors or something.

Hey, if you're going to tempt fate you may as well do it big, right?

3 comments:

Todd said...

Yeah,

she'll dangle a dead mouse over a snake and paly tug'o'war with the legless reptile but she won't touch a dead fish.

deeol said...

Or a live one. I do have standards, you know.

Sparroweye said...

I learned to very carefully unhook a live fish and throw it back. I really don't like killing fish. I hate when they get hooked through the eye. Try to get a hook out of an eye. Oh boy. Might as well cook em after all that. I have no phobias
except "never cover my mouth or nose" and "cannot stand too close to the edge of high gorges, or too near Niagra Falls (makes me feel dizzy like I might fall in, or over) My mother in law used to say if we heard a screech owl at night, "someone is going to die". But then I got very attached to a screech owl family and I hardly believe that. The Gods and Goddesses gave owls a bad reputation. My frozen shoulder/partial rotator cuff tear are almost healed. Thanks for asking.

Related Posts with Thumbnails