Monday 30 July 2007

Pointless artsy blather of the day:

This is one of my favourite filters because it forces you to see things differently. You've been looking at dragonflies all week (and yes, there are more yet to come. I might intersperse them with other things for the next while, though. I wouldn't want to cause anyone dragonfly burnout), but what have you really seen? Have you seen the lacy wings? The surprisingly hairy thorax? The monstrously huge eyes? The little hooks on the legs?

When I crop photos -- that is, when I'm feeling artsy about cropping photos -- I sometimes don't aim for the obvious featured-subject-in-the-centre approach. I'm looking at shape and at the way an object creates negative space. I look for lines. Curves. Diagonals that will draw the eye to different parts of the photo.

Things that make me happy... or sometimes things that annoy me. Depends on the mood, I guess.

You know, if you ever saw me typing these silly blathers when I'm here at my father's place and found out how often I'm interrupted by an Oh! I like this song interlude, you'd understand why my posts are so disjointed and at the same time probably wonder how they manage to make any sense at all. That last one was a full-on chair dance, I have to admit.

Anyway, pointless photography. The reason I waste so much of my time taking macros, cropping them in weird ways, and then filling up the internet with them is that it helps me see things in ways that I might not have otherwise. I like that. I hope it gives me a little more appreciation for the amazing things that surround us in this life.

What it does for you is entirely up to you. I'd imagine it's more on the scale of wtf than what a wonderful world, but that's fine with me. This is, after all, ultimately an exercise in pointlessness. Wouldn't want anyone to be deriving too much meaning from it.

And now I'm going to surrender to the edge-of-headache fog I'm currently in. It's been too hot to sleep properly, and judging from the level of loopiness it's starting to catch up with me more than a little. Besides, it's almost time to change laundry loads.

Gotta have priorities, you know.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails