Saturday 23 February 2008

Cheese

No, the pointless photo is not of cheese.

It's pretty cheesy, though.

I don't have a lot on the brain today -- very definitely taking a weekend -- but I did have an observation about cheese.

I really like cheese.

Um, that wasn't the observation. That was just a fact. Stay tuned for the observation.

I really like cheese, and I'll admit that it's one thing I'll pay a bit of money for. Overall I'm pretty cheap (thrifty, if you prefer the positive spin), but I rarely hesitate to plunk down the funds for a good piece of cheese if that's what I have to do to get the taste I want.

I suppose it's like wines are for some people. Me, I'm not a regular wine drinker so you could probably pawn the boxed stuff off on me without much chance that I'd notice. I understand that there are many, many differences between good and mediocre wines, yes, but I honestly couldn't tell you what they are. I've never developed a taste for wine, so telling me that an expensive something I don't have a taste for is better than a cheap something I don't have a taste for is a thing I'd just have to take on faith.

I don't drink coffee either, so the current trend to costly Seattle-y beverages pretty much baffles me.

And don't even get me started on the massive line-ups I see at the drive-through every time I pass a Tim's. I so completely don't understand that. Is it a religion, people? Are you tithing?

Cheese, though, I get.

Well, in a small way. I'm not likely to start chasing around the world in search of the holy grail of cheesy goodness, but in my own limited fashion I've developed enough of a taste for cheese in all (erm... most. I have my likes and dislikes) its varieties that I can understand why people become connoisseurs. And yes, I can be fussy about my cheese.

With one exception.

Here's the observation part:

When it comes to marble cheese I'll take the rubbery no-name stuff over a "decent" brand any day.

I'm not sure why.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it might be something going back to childhood and grilled cheese sandwiches (which must, by the way, always be eaten with a kosher dill pickle. Baby dill. Not the big squishy kind). It's probably the texture I grew up expecting, so if someone replaces my low-end marble with something better it just doesn't seem like marble.

Or maybe I'm not quite the proper cheese fan yet, I don't know.

It's something I'm willing to work on, if it means more cheese on the blog.







More cheese on the blog. Now there's a novelty.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails