Monday 18 February 2008

Tiiired

Yep. The snit has changed into a yawn.

I've been a little off for the past few days (bet you hadn't guessed), and now I'm feeling mostly like I've been dragged behind a bus for a few blocks.

Partially skinned, then, Dee?




Oh, I don't know.

Today's photo is a reminder that it's no fun to have snow in the crotch. OF YOUR TREE, SILLY.

Don't worry. It doesn't make sense to me either. Did I mention the part about being tired?

----------

I've noticed that I've been counting lefties again, and to no purpose. As usual. For those new to the program, I have a slight thing about noticing fellow left-handers. Left-handers on television (there's an awful lot of them. Proof, I suppose, that we're not quite hooked up right), left-handers amongst the schoolkids in my groups...

Actually, that brings up something kind of interesting. I've noticed over the years that I see more and more lefties in the school classes that come to the nature centre. Why do you suppose that is?

I'd imagine that it could be a combination of things, but I think it's mostly that left-handedness doesn't have the stigma it used to have. Kids are allowed to use the hand they're comfortable with, and that's a good thing. After all, forcing left-handers into right-handedness has been blamed for everything from shyness to stuttering. May as well give a child a chance to develop normally.

Or as normally as left-handers are capable of. My family would probably debate you on whether lefies can ever really be normal, but then that's my family for you.

And they tease with love, I promise.

It seems hard to believe that it was ever thought a good thing to steer a child away from his or her dominant hand, but we're not really all that far removed from the days of smacking knuckles or tying a "misbehaving" arm down. I mean, I'm not terribly old but I'm still part of the first generation (around here, anyway) whose teachers didn't strongly suggest holding that darned pencil with the right (double meaning there) hand.

As a result, my teachers didn't know how to teach a leftie. They knew I should be allowed to use whichever hand I was comfortable using, yes, but how to use that hand... well, I was mostly left to my own devices.

My handwriting shows that even today.

Or at least that's what I choose to blame it on.

Anyway, I hope the left-handed kids out there today are having a better and less isolated go of it than I did. You seem to at least have a peer group, from what I see in your classes, and I hope that by the time you're my age you don't find yourself spending time noticing left-handers quite as much as I do.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, really. It's just a bit... weird.

In a left-handed sort of way.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails