Wednesday 6 February 2008

'Scuse me while I put in my teeth

Yes, it's a fish in a bucket.

No reason.

----------

You know what I hate? I hate realising that something happened twenty years ago, and that I can't say twenty years ago... before I was born.

I can't even say twenty years ago... when I was too young to remember.

When I started at my current place of employment I was fresh out of university and by far the youngest person on staff. Now I work with people who were born at the same time that I was in high school.

When the hell did that happen, exactly?

The weird thing is that I don't generally feel "old" (come to it, I don't think I qualify as old. Well, I might have in the middle ages or something, but nowadays? Not so much) until I have one of those twenty-years-ago moments. That's when my brain starts doing things like considering the benefits of motorised scooters or those adjustable beds you see on the infomercials.

Ok, maybe not quite that bad. I do, however, think that the walk-in bathtubs are kind of neat...






Sorry. Where was I?

Things are sort of conspiring against me in the ooooold department lately. There are a few things going on -- most of which you will NOT be hearing about -- but one that can be made public is that my alma mater is celebrating its 100th anniversary.

And for those at the centre of the universe who might be laughing at the fact that the U of A is "only" 100 years old, say it with me now: Shut up. 100 years is pretty good when the province itself is only a few years older.

Now, of course I wasn't around when the school got started (just thought I'd clear that one up right away). Reading the centenary celebration schedule and the history articles in the alumni magazine, though, can't help but make a person think of her own time at the university. Yeah, I've been on a bit of a nostalgia kick, more or less. I loved university. I loved almost everything about it (except calculus. What does a zoology student need to study calculus for anyway?). I had a great time, and not in the can't-remember-what-I-did-the-night-before way.

And then I realise how long ago that great time was.

*insert suitable vulgarity here*

Ah well. There's not a whole lot whinging about it can change... although it obviously hasn't stopped me from whinging anyway. As the saying goes, every single person on this planet is closer to death than to birth.

Until someone invents a time machine.





With my luck, I won't be able to remember anything by then so I won't care anyway. Later, all.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails