Sunday 28 October 2007

Control, control, control

The title has nothing to do with psychological issues... well, except for the fact that something helpful is currently driving me nuts.

Arrrrr.

And yes, I know that some of my two fans have no idea what's up with the arrrrr. I'd suggest that you ask around. There's likely someone out there who can explain it.

Anyway, the very helpful Google Toolbar pop-up blocker is in one of its periodic spastic phases where it decides to block every single thing that might possibly have ever considered one day thinking about being a pop-up.

Frustrating.

It means that I've been making pretty heavy use of the control button in the past few days just to open links. And the photo thingy (which doesn't need yet another excuse to hate me). And the comment box.

Yeah, if you can't get the comment box to open it might be because Google Toolbar (assuming you have Google Toolbar) is "helping". Just hold down the control key when you hit the link and it should be fiiine.

The oddest moment this caused for me this morning was when I was trying to read articles that had come up on my Google Alerts (yes, a Google product) in my Gmail (another Google product). Gmail very helpfully came up with an A pop-up blocker may be preventing this from opening message whenever I clicked a link.

The Google pop-up blocker, in fact.

Do you suppose it should go and stand in the Google corner?

This blog (or its host and related software) is also a Google product, you know. It wasn't when I started the old blog, but Google's since amoeba-ed the originating company.

Seems like Google has control issues too.




Funny, I wasn't intending to be talking about Google today. This just came out when I went to load the usual pointless photo (which, by the way, is likely to be my last outdoor spider of the year. Thin-legged Wolf Spider, if anyone is interested. On a basement window frame, if you've been trying to get a feeling for how big the spider was) and the pop-up blocker reminded me that it was still DOING ITS JOB.

Yippee.

Not that Google's the only helpful company out there. Not by a long shot. At the moment Wheat's got himself a case of the Vista blues -- actually, it's more like the Vista AAAAAUGHS -- because his new work computer wants to make sure he's sure about every single thing that he asks it to do.

My computer, on the other hand, seems to be refusing to acknowledge that Wheat's even exists. I've actually had to e-mail things to him rather than just copy them to his shared files. A couple of metres across the office, I've had to e-mail.

Helpful.




I'm out of things now. Can't even remember what my original post was going to be about.

Ah well.

Consider it a topic saved for another day.





If my helpful brain can manage to find its own control button.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you were both at work on Sunday?

Related Posts with Thumbnails