Thursday 11 December 2008

And the chance to make a drunken acceptance speech goes to...

So, the Golden Globe nominations were announced today.

Assuming that we don't get buggered over by a SAG strike, I will definitely be watching the Golden Globes.

I always watch the Golden Globes. I was terribly disappointed last year when the Writers' Guild strike killed the ceremony.

I suppose I should say at this point that I haven't seen any of the nominated films and only about two of the nominated television shows, but I'll be watching the Globes all the same.

And why?

See post title.

The Golden Globes is the perfect awards ceremony as far as I'm concerned. You get all the fun of the usual red carpet wrecks, and you don't have to put up with all of the misguided pomp that seems to go into any ceremony involving any organisation with the word Academy in its name.

And there's booze.

Maybe I'm shallow, but I enjoy a well-lubricated speech or several.

Even without the alcohol factor, the looser format of the Globes makes it a helluva lot more enjoyable to me than all the badly-read, badly-written (I was going to say that Bruce Vilanch has a lot to answer for, but looking at his CV it's even worse than I thought), over-produced nonsense you see at the other shows.

And there's booze, did I mention?

Anyway, I should get back to work. There's no booze here, unfortunately... or maybe fortunately. Somehow well-lubricated and planetarium program don't sound like they'd go together as well as well-lubricated and the Golden Globes do.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails