Saturday 12 May 2007

So, here's the conundrum

As I said yesterday, I've been busy. Busy equals not much time to blog.

However, it's now the weekend. Even though I'm only getting part of one this time around, I still have to admit I'm not especially busy. I'm doing laundry, as usual, but since I don't have to beat it on a rock it doesn't make me busy.

However (yeah, it's going to be a however kind of post), it's... now the weekend. A gorgeous Saturday. I'm not sure I even want to bother to blog.

And before I go any further with what may or may not turn out to be a blog post, let me address the pointless photo (not THAT kind of address, no. And shut up, world) and state for the record that I have no idea whether my father really thinks a person can grow gold. Where do you suppose he managed to find gold seeds, anyway?

Ok, so it's really Yukon Gold potatoes. Still, it was funny. Oh, come on -- you have to admit that it was at least a tiny bit amusing.

Now, topic.






I don't have one.

All right, all right, let's do this then. The other day I was reading a paper in the Canadian Field-Naturalist about tardigrades (yes, I know I'm a nerd). Tardigrades are pretty bizarre and fascinating creatures, but the paper I was reading had more to do with the harvesting and identification of tardigrades than their biology.

I could make this long and rambling, but... weekend, remember? The gist is that there are lots of tardigrades out there. Lots and lots. There are tardigrades that we don't even know about yet. There's a pretty good chance that you've walked over entire populations of tardigrades and never knew it.

They're out there, and out there whether we realise it or not. There are worlds of living beings out there that we are completely oblivious to.

Well, almost oblivious to.

Obviously, if we were completely oblivious to tardigrades I wouldn't be talking about them right now.

It kind of makes a person (ok, THIS person) wonder what else might be out there that we haven't bothered to notice yet. We're such an arrogant species, Homo sapiens. We think of ourselves as the collective cock of the walk, but we conveniently forget that on the micro (and, more than likely, macro) scale we're barely even noticed.

I think that's cool. You should too.

Or, since I've gone that route without actually meaning to, let's go all in and do the Shakespeare thing. Hamlet Act 1 Scene V, anyone?

I can wait.





All right. Free pass today, then, since I don't expect all of my two fans to be nerdy to my level. Here's where I was headed:

HORATIO
O day and night, but this is wondrous strange!

HAMLET
And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.


And a good thing, too. Can you imagine how boring the world would be if there weren't?




I'm off to enjoy Saturday now.

[/disjointed nonsense]

2 comments:

smudgers said...

OLF ~and~ N2N I see now. Nerd to the Nth of course.

Marianne said...

I love your picture, that's hilarious :)
What are tardigrades? I guess I could just click on the link (my brain is not working today)... wow, cool weird!
I agree, very cool more than we think. I remember a time I was worried I would know everything.. HA! what was I thinking?
P.S. I see that I'm still Northern correspondent... I should change that :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails