Friday 4 May 2007

Wet

The day, that is. Not me.

I was wet yesterday, though.

That's what happens when you go out in the rain.

The pointless photo, by the way, is definitely not recent. It's a bit early in the year for daylilies. The picture's only here because it was one of two on my nerdstick that had a title starting with the word wet.

Anyway, it's wet out there.

Tends to be wet when it's raining.






It's really wet out there, did I mention? Wet to the point where parts of the Sanctuary are flooding. That's not a problem, if anyone was wondering. It's a problem if our skylights at the nature centre start leaking, but so far so good on that count.

I can't say I mind the rain. There's the whole gee-I-can-breathe-now factor, of course, but I like rain on the whole anyway. And for those of you thinking "rain on the whole WHAT?"... well, hush. I like the sound of rain. I like the way it looks. I like being out in the rain, just as long as I'm not getting too cold.

Cold creates its own set of problems, you'll remember.

I know there are people out there rolling their eyes about now, wondering how someone could like rain that much. I'll admit, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that I live in a place that doesn't usually get prolonged rainy spells. Here, when it rains you know that it'll be done reasonably soon. I'm not saying I live in the Great Canadian Desert, but it's more likely to be dry here than wet at any given time.

Of course, I've kind of been a fan of wet even when I've visited places where wet isn't a novelty.

I remember being in Hawaii and marvelling at the way that it rained every day but the rain never seemed to put a halt to anything. And the rain was warm. Warm rain. Now there's something a kid from Alberta doesn't get a chance to feel very often. I even caught myself looking forward to the daily mid-afternoon rain shower. I'm not sure what my family thought about that part, but hey. It made me happy.

Even just the rhythm of rain does something for me. I've talked before (searchable on the old blog, if anyone's desperately curious) about sitting in one of the wings of the family tent trailer as a child and falling asleep to the sound of rain hitting the canvas. I'm back there instantly anytime I hear rain on fabric.

Yeah, I approve of rain.

Well, I suppose that the rain and I had better get back to work. Ok, maybe just me. The rain will do whatever it does without me telling it to.




It's wet out there.

I think I'd better go for a walk in the rain this afternoon just to see if it's wet enough...

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

I wondered where my rain went to.
Give it back. I like rain too.
I like rain actually better than hot sun. It has not rained in so long, except for a very brief sprinkle that I have forgotten how the rain feels.
When I turn the sprinklers on the birds go crazy. I will be absent until the owls fledge.

Related Posts with Thumbnails