Sunday 9 September 2007

Malfunctioning equipment

The apple, if anyone wondered, is not malfunctioning. I am.

The pointless photo might end up to be all for today, you know. I'm having a bit of trouble making my brain work.

Not feeling all that great, did I mention?

Actually, at the moment it's more like I'm not feeling all that here. Pretty serious disconnect somewhere in the system. Not all sensors are operational, I suppose.

Speaking of disconnects, a few of you know about the trouble I was having with my stove. For the rest of you: the other night the timer buzzer on the stove came on for no reason, and after a while of fiddling with it in vain I finally had to unscrew the fuse to get it to shut up. The problem with unscrewing the fuse was that it also disabled the electrical outlet on the stove (and the clock, but the gearing on the clock-set is buggered so I wasn't using it anyway). The problem with disabling the electrical outlet on the stove is that it's the only place in the entire apartment that I can plug in my microwave without tripping a breaker.

Gotta love older buildings sometimes.

Anyway, I finally got around to leaving a note with the manager on Friday. I didn't do it sooner partly because I've been having a bad week for headaches (you might have heard) and partly because the speed of the repair service we seem to get leaves more than a little to be desired, as a rule. Let's just say that things move at a fairly (and frustratingly) slow pace. They don't hurry, so I guess I wasn't in a hurry to get them to not hurry.

It made sense in my brain. But then, my brain's not exactly firing properly. I believe that I've already told you about that.

Imagine my surprise when the manager called my cell to let me know that the repairman would be there that same afternoon.

Shock and amazement. Seriously.

When I got back to the place after work, I was curious as to what had been done. The fuse was screwed in, definitely, and there was no buzzer sounding, so that was good. I plugged the microwave back in, and that was also good. Power to the outlet: check.

What wasn't working was anything to do with the clock and timer. I couldn't set the clock before, but at least it ran. Now? No clock, no timer, no buzzer. Apparently the fix was to completely disconnect the thing.

Interesting logic there. "She's complaining that her outlet doesn't work. It must mean she doesn't care about the rest of it."

Well.

Honestly?

Ok, I have to admit that I don't, really. I tend to use another timer when I'm baking, and since I haven't been able to set the clock for a while I pretty much ignore it. The thing is, though, that they didn't know that. I think it's fair to say that this was a pretty half-assed repair job.

But my outlet works, so...






Somewhere along the line this almost turned into an actual post. Yay me. I'm done now, I think, so you can go look for something else to do if you like.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails