Sunday 11 March 2007

Pointless photo of the day:

Because I'm tired of snow photos.

Actually, we've been having a bit of a spring preview (note how I say spring preview and not IT'S SPRING!!!? I'm in Alberta, folks. It's never spring by March in Alberta. We do get teasers, however) these past few days, so with any luck I'll be able to go out today and take some pointless photos of... um... snow. Melting, at least.

Sorry. I get a little flower-nostalgic this time of year. Sometimes it gets bad enough that I end up filling my very small apartment with seeder flats just so I can pretend that something's thinking of growing outside too. Not this year, though. Starting seeds in a very small apartment is kind of silly, when it comes down to it, and it doesn't actually save you much money in the end.

It's something to do, I guess.

----------

So, speaking of the time of year...

Has the world ended? Is anyone out there?



I'm speaking (well, typing) of course of the big fuss about this early daylight savings time and its effect on computers and such. Yeah, we changed early in Canada too because god help us if we didn't follow the U.S. government in everything we do.

Oh, right. We didn't officially go to Iraq, did we? Ok, so maybe we get a little feisty every once in a while.

But we did change our clocks.

Actually, despite the snottiness that attempted to rear its head above, I don't mind. I like daylight, and I like savings. Put the two together, and you get not much more than an hour less sleep, I suppose. It's not exactly an earth-shattering difference.

I think we should have it all year long, myself.

I'm serious.

It's depressing as hell to go to work in darkness and then come home in darkness all winter (assuming I'm working, of course, which isn't always the case). Why not just leave the clocks an hour ahead and give people a fighting chance to at least see the sun for a few minutes before they have to go to bed?

And shut up, world. I know most people don't go to bed as soon as they get home from work. I'm just trying to make a point here, ok?

The way we measure time is fairly arbitrary anyway. Yes, the length of a day and the length of a year are based on physical facts. The length of a month was originally too, although nowadays months have almost nothing to do with moon phases. As to the rest of it, we're just looking at convenient divisions of those natural time periods.

Who says there have to be twenty-four hours in a day or sixty seconds in a minute? It's not like it really means anything. Who says we can't set our clocks an hour ahead and leave them that way indefinitely? It's not like our clocks show accurate local time anyway. Not since the introduction of time zones, they don't.

And I personally like time zones. It would be a pain in the arse to have to adjust my watch a few minutes just because I happen to be in, say, Banff.

Never mind the fact that I haven't been in Banff for years. I could be if I wanted to. And it's very convenient that if I wanted to I currently wouldn't have to change my timepiece.






Ok, this is getting a little silly. I should go find some lunch anyway.

And find out if the world's ended.





Nah, maybe just the lunch.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails