Wednesday 6 August 2008

My eyes! My eyes!

Sorry, but I don't have a photo of eyes on my nerdstick at the moment. Have a Northern Pearl Crescent instead.

And just so that you know, this isn't going to be one of those posts in which Yours Blatheringly whines on yet again that she doesn't like her eyes. I don't, but that's not the point of the pointlessness this time.

What this is instead is a WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING to those of you out there (yes, you) who choose blog skins/templates/whatever with black backgrounds and white printing.

I was reading a fairly interesting blog just now... well, trying to read it, anyway. I didn't get too far before my eyes started begging me to stab them with a pencil instead. Apparently they thought it might be a tad less painful.

For those of you who don't have the joy of astigmatism, let me just say that white-on-black printing HURTS. It tends to spread, and that makes a person's already effed-up eyes go into overload trying to focus the distorted letters. I can't manage much time on a white-on-black page before I start getting a headache (and I really, really need more headaches in my life), and since I know that I'm not the only astigmatic person out there trying to read web pages I can only assume that those of you who choose that particular colour scheme are actually trying to get rid of a good chunk of your potential audience.

Erm, so there.

That got a bit rantier than I was planning. Sorry about that.

Anyway, that's it from me and my eyes today. I'm working late tonight at a different site, and I've got things to do before I head out there.





And I hope that by the time I'm ready to get in the car my eyes will stop giving me the good ol' white-on-black-website afterimage.








What the hell are you thinking, people?

1 comment:

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I have the same problem, though not as bad.
Just blogged it:
http://eolake.blogspot.com/2008/09/white-on-black-hard-to-read.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails