Thursday 21 August 2008

Pointless snit of the moment:

It's raining. That's not why the snit, by the way. I was actually looking forward to today's rain because my apartment's been about three degrees shy of hell for the past few days and I'm hoping that when I go home after work and open the window a rainy, cool day will go a long way to solving that problem for a while.

No, the reason for the snit is because my headache is headed to full bloom because it's too hot in the office. Did I mention the rainy, cool day? It shouldn't be warm in here.

I feel ill.

And cranky.

Ah well. I went and stood outside (under the overhang, before anyone makes any smart comments about cooling off the hard way) and watched the rain for a little while just now, and that helped a bit. It's a good, steady rain. The kind of rain you appreciate if A) you're not a farmer starting to prepare for harvest, B) you've been living in a stupidly hot apartment for a while, and C) you're not from a place where it rains every damned day. Well, I'm all of the above and I like a rain like this.

I'd like it even more if it wasn't for the headache. Sleep went better last night (thanks for asking) but I still could use about a week of catch up.

Not ketchup, no. That'd be something different.

----------

And now, hair.

Much to my shock and amazement, I've managed to wear my hair down almost every day since I got it cut. That never happens. It always annoys me far too much to go this long without clips or a hairband or something. Erm... ok, so I wore a hairband yesterday. But that was just because I didn't feel like having hair.

Anyway.

The funny thing is that when I wear my hair down I almost always get asked a fairly weird question. The question would be: do you dye your hair like that?

I should explain. I have dark hair that's going grey. In the front, mostly. I have to say that I come by it honestly. My mother was quite salt-and-pepper, but she went very white-haired in the front. Me, I don't have too much grey in the back (yet), but I have an obvious strip of white along my front hairline. When I pull my hair back (as I usually do) I look... probably pretty grey. I don't care much about it (obviously, or the cure would be a mere bottle of dye away), but I will admit that I probably look preeetty grey.

When I wear my hair loose, though, the grey just looks like a couple of streaks in the front.

Which is where the weirdness of the question comes in. Streaked hair I can see, yes, but does anyone out there actually aim for grey streaks when painting a head?

And there's no way these particular streaks could ever be mistaken for blonde.

I only mention this because I got the question from a fairly unexpected quarter here at work today. That, and it fills up blog space on an otherwise snitty, headache-y day...

Back to work now, though. I and my skunk-headed self need to go feed the snakes.







I wonder if they think it's a dye job?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails